1/16/09

Psalm 20 (a lament)



“O Children of Men! Know ye not why We created you all from the same dust? That no one should exalt himself over the other.” -- The Hidden Words of Baha’u’llah

***


God, why are You eclipsed by men in power and full?
~~They are seen as great: large as the sun, as bright as stars,
~~yet they are no more than a moment’s moon: when will You appear again?

Send a savory ray to me between the rue and rain you gather over them;
~~become a healing balm to the meek; break up the bombs of the ill.

The vain make their plan and ask Your blessing;
~~I make no plan and ask Your will.

In the beginning, the prideful, proud of their pride, see a world of weapon and wound;
~~in the end, the innocent, afraid to fear, see an earth of war or worth.

In their desire for more, the proud mar Your store,
~~but they can never harm You.

I struggle against them,
~~but I have harmed no one: save me.

They fight the other’s body to the ground;
~~I fight them all: have I thrown down my own soul?

When we end the ruin, battle and field humbled to dust,
~~help us then begin to raise the path where praise will lead us.


No comments: